Monday, August 11, 2008

Ta-da!

I had a very exciting weekend. On Saturday, I went and bought my first sewing machine. Ta-da!

It's a Viking, and was paid for with all the swimming lessons I've been teaching this summer. Why this one? Well, apparently it's idiot proof -- an important feature for an amateur sewer like myself. Another cool feature is that it comes with 8 sewing classes. I get to start them in September and have some lofty goals from making drapes, upholstering chairs, making some pillows, an of course more quilts. In wandering the fabric store this weekend, Dave and I found some Tommy Bahama fabric and are scheming ways to use it.

In addition to buying the sewing machine, I was able to finish a project. Ta-da! (I hope you hear appropriate "ta-da" music when you read that.)


This is the quilt that Rachel and I started when we were in Hawaii. The biggest thing I learned from this is that I would have been better served by buying fabric and batting for the back, instead of using fleece. It's too stretchy and not easy to keep straight. The edges aren't perfect, but I got better as I went along.

So, now on to the next one. Ta-da!


I'm still trying to decide on the arrangement of the pineapples. If you have any suggestions, be sure to let me know.

Well, I realize some of you wouldn't classify this as an exciting weekend, it's been fun for me.
I can't wait to make more things!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

I'm jealous of your craftiness.