Saturday, July 26, 2008

Another Unfinished Project


This afternoon I took a Hawaiian Appliqué class. The top left bread fruit is the one that has been appliquéd. Notice the lack of rounded edges and flow to the leaves. All in all, it was a successful class. I have another quilt pattern of pineapples here at home that requires being able to appliqué, so now I know how and will hopefully be able to do a better job on that one. I also got a really cool sea turtle pattern included with my class today that I might get to someday.

I've continued to work on learning new things this past week. On Monday, I learned how to use a sewing machine. I started putting the binding around another quilt that I started at Christmas. I'm pretty excited about it, but need to wait to go back to the quilt shop for open sewing so that I can finish it since I don't have a sewing machine here at home. I've also decided to take up yoga for the summer. This class always looks deceivingly easy when you walk past at the gym. This past week the final pose was a "crow" which is basically doing a tripod with your head up. This is not easy. The best part was when a few of my classmates over -estimated their abilities and totally fell over, sprawling themselves on the gym floor.

Sewing and going to the gym... that pretty much describes how I've spent the last week. I'm supposed to be working on my Master's project, but this other stuff just seems more fun. Hopefully I'll be more motivated to think about the project this week... just 5 weeks off freedom left! Oh... and I have kept up my desire to try something new every week. Two weeks ago I made two cheese fondues. One worked really well -- a cheddar combined with hard apple cider -- the other I'll probably not try again. Then this past week I made shrimp scampi...also very good.

No comments: