Saturday, July 5, 2008

New York

We are currently on day 3 of our New York City trip. It's been quite something. Last night we went down to the East River to watch what was supposed to be one of the greatest fireworks shows ever. Apparently these people who claim that it's going to be best have never been to Disneyland, because it didn't even come close. However, the people around us were clearly impressed. This one woman kept exclaiming "oh.... beautiful..." in her most awe inspired voice. It made me giggle.
Today we visited the East Side Tenement Museum. All the lines that I've read from Jacob Riis in school were echoing in my head as we walked through the tenement. I totally understand the dark stairway he talks about and how the smell of the saloon would wander upstairs in a new way.
Tonight we're off to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. I'm so excited about this. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations. :)

No comments: